Last time I finished the foundation. The 6 x 12 platform with the slide-out. But in doing so, I realized I needed to rethink the braces for the side extension 1×12 planking. I had purchased metal brackets, and discovered after all were installed that they forced a deeper angle to the joining between the vertical and horizontal planks. Not to mention, the original set also had a pair installed where the slide-out needed to … well, slide. So, I decided to create a set of 12 x 12 buttresses that are screwed to both the vertical and horizontal planking. This provided a much stronger framework and will also create structure for bins on the outside! Cool!
Now, I can begin building the vertical walls. Using 1″x2″ studs, I am now working first with the slide-out. To make it a little easier, I did install the floor into the slide-out portion. It does help, having a floor. In the pic to the right, you can see the buttresses on the outside above the wheel. I will end up having more of the buttresses than I was of the metal braces. I think this will be much stronger.
Getting the slide-out wall frame up, including the opening for the door took a while. There was an important detail I noticed as I was looking at the slide out. I needed to be sure to leave sufficient space on the base-frame, (what the slide out slides in and out on) to build the wall frame that the slide-out will slide into. Once I figured it out, I realised that I had to shift the slide-out walls inward a whole inch to have enough clearance for not only the wall framing, but the sheathing that would be going on the slide-out!
Whew! That was a close one!
Next time: Slide-Out Sheathing